Sunday, August 17, 2008

To Begin: Frozen Berries with White Hot Chocolate

One of the many (some good, some not) ideas generated out of Orchard Ave. Canoe '08 was to create an Orchard Avenue cookbook, or something similar that would let us share all the fantastic recipes we're always cooking for one another at block parties, tailgates, progressive dinners, etc. And I thought, why not have a blog? So here's a first attempt. Everyone can log in and post. I sent an e-mail to at least one person in each family; if you want another person added, let me know the e-mail address and I'll make it done. This makes me the administrator, which is scary, because while I love to write, I am not the most tech-savvy person on the block. So, somebody else figure out how we can "tag" these recipe entries into categories, OK? That way, when Scott DeKoker wants to get Brent Early's grilled coleslaw recipe, he won't have to dig through months of random recipe listings.

I'll start off with the easiest dessert ever, one which some of you sampled under the open sky this weekend. Cheers to cooking together for many more years!

Frozen Berries with White Hot Chocolate (Ina Garten, modified to be easier by me)

serves 6-8

2 - 3 bags frozen mixed berries
1 C. heavy cream
8-10 oz. good white chocolate (not chips), chopped
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Let the berries thaw for 10 - 15 minutes while you make the sauce. In a double-boiler (or similar), heat the cream, chocolate, and vanilla just until the chocolate melts and it's warm to the touch, whisking constantly. Divide the berries into cups or bowls, and pour the white hot chocolate evenly over them. Serve immediately.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

This is great! Thanks for starting it up Steph! WHOOO! And that dessert was just a luxurious surprise!!

Shawn said...

I can figure out the big deal technical issues if you can ghost write my entries.

Pancakes will be up soon.

julie said...

That desesrt was awesome! I cannot wait to make it. Thanks Stephanie for setting up this blog and I look forward to trying everyones recipes!